6 Philadelphia police officers wounded in shooting

Police in Philadelphia say two officers who had been trapped in a house with a shooter are safely out, the latest development in a case that saw six police officers shot and wounded in a drug raid.

Three hours into the standoff, Philadelphia Police said all of the wounded officers were in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries.

Later Wednesday evening, Philadelphia Police Sgt. Eric Gripp said all of the injured officers had been released from hospital. There were no reports of civilians being harmed.

Gripp said shortly after 9:30 p.m. ET that the suspect was “still armed and inside” the house. 

Police Commissioner Richard Ross Jr. said the two officers became trapped inside the house where the shooting first

erupted, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

He told reporters after the two were out safely that it was “nothing short of a miracle” that there weren’t multiple officers killed. He praised the SWAT team members who got their colleagues, and three people police identified as “prisoners” of the shooter out of the home unharmed. 

Police were imploring the gunman to surrender, at one point patching in his lawyer on the phone with him to try to persuade him to give up, Ross said.

“We’re doing everything within our power to get him to come out,” Ross said, adding: “He has the highest assurance he’s not going to be harmed when he comes out.”

A police officer patrols the block near the home in Philadelphia’s Nicetown neighbourhood. Six officers are in stable condition after being sent to hospital earlier with non-life-threatening injuries. (The Associated Press)

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said he was thankful that officers’ injuries weren’t life-threatening.

“I’m a little angry about someone having all that weaponry and all that firepower, but we’ll get to that another day,” Kenney said.

‘Barrage of bullets’

People were warned to stay inside their homes and to avoid Nicetown, a north Philadelphia neighbourhood of brick and stone row homes where the shooting began around 4:30 p.m. Shots were still being fired three hours later, police said.

Officers had gone to the home to serve a warrant, according to authorities.

“Many of them had to escape through windows and doors to escape from a barrage of bullets,” Ross said.

He added that the shooter continued firing on a SWAT truck parked at the scene in Nicetown as officers tried negotiating with him.

Large police presence

Live video from news stations showed a massive police presence in a neighbourhood with dozens of police cars and officers, many of them with their guns drawn.

Police tried to push crowds of onlookers and residents back from the scene. In police radio broadcasts, officers could be heard calling for backup as reports of officers getting shot poured in.

Police Commissioner Richard Ross Jr. says officers used a bullhorn and involved a family member of the suspect as they tried to negotiate his surrender. (Bastiaan Slabbers/Reuters)

Dozens of officers on foot lined the streets. Others were in cars and some on horses.

Temple University locked down part of its campus.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said its agents responded to the scene to assist Philadelphia police.

People were warned to stay out of the Nicetown neighbourhood. (Matt Rourke/The Associated Press)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

CBC | World News