Jennifer Jones and Mark Nichols opened their Canadian mixed doubles curling trials with a convincing 9-3 win over Shannon Birchard and Jason Gunnlaugson.
It was a different result for Brad Gushue and Valerie Sweeting, who fell 6-3 to Chelsea Carey and Colin Hodgson.
The winning duo at the championship will represent Canada when mixed doubles curling makes its Olympic debut next month at the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
Here are the other results from Draw 2:
- Kalynn Park and Charley Thomas def. Nicole Westlund Stewart and Tyler Stewart 7-4.
- Laura Crocker and Geoff Walker def. Sherry Middaugh and John Epping 7-4.
- Dana Ferguson and Brendan Bottcher def. Kaitlyn Lawes and John Morris 8-4.
Canadian mixed doubles curling trials from Portage la Prairie, Man0:00
Draw 1: Jones, Nichols start strong
Jones and Nichols scored five over the first two ends and cruised in their opening game on Tuesday. Jones, from Winnipeg, and Nichols, from St. John’s, N.L., added two in the fifth and seventh ends to seal the victory.
Both Jones and Nichols are former Olympic champions. Nichols was part of Brad Gushue’s men’s Olympic champion team in 2006, and Jones skilled Canada’s women’s team to gold in 2014.
Jones was originally tabbed to play with husband Brent Laing. A switch had to be made since Canadian curlers cannot compete in both disciplines at the Games and Laing’s four-man team skipped by Kevin Koe beat McEwen in the Trials final.
Canadian mixed doubles curling trials from Portage la Prairie, Man.51:58
Here are the other results from Draw 1:
- Nancy Martin and Catlin Schneider def. Sherry Just and Tyrel Griffith 11-5.
- Jocelyn Peterman and Brett Gallant def. Kim Tuck and Wayne Tuck 11-4.
- Emilie Desjardins and Robert Desjardins def. Dawn McEwen and Mike McEwen 5-3.
Click here for a full schedule of the trials.