Paris attack suspect, captured in Brussels 4 months later, refuses to stand as trial gets underway

The only surviving member of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria cell that attacked Paris in November 2015 refused to rise for a Belgian court on Monday or answer questions about his actions during his first appearance in public since his arrest nearly two years ago.

Salah Abdeslam is on trial in his hometown of Brussels on charges of attempted murder for a police shootout that he fled, four months after the Paris attack.

The man who covered for his getaway with a spray of automatic gunfire died. Abdeslam was captured on March 18, 2016, in the same neighbourhood where he and many of his ISIS fighter colleagues grew up.

Abdeslam and two suspects were hiding in an apartment when police arrived for a routine search.

Three officers were wounded in the shootout that followed and one suspect was killed. Abdeslam was captured a few days later in the Brussels neighbourhood of Molenbeek.

On Monday morning, Abdeslam arrived in the Belgian capital of Brussels after his transfer from a prison in France. Security was high at the courthouse, with armed guards and multiple checkpoints leading to the courtroom.

He is being tried alongside Sofiane Ayari in relation to the Brussels shootout. The judge’s questions Monday were oriented toward establishing which of the two had also fired on officers.

Asked why he was refusing to stand, Abdeslam said: “I’m tired, I did not sleep.”

Few answers

Abdeslam, in a full beard and longer hair than in pictures released before he was arrested, was flanked by masked guards and refused to answer questions beyond a few formalities.

“I do not wish to respond to any questions. I was asked to come. I came,” he said. “I defend myself by keeping silent.”

“Muslims are judged and treated without pity, there is no presumption of innocence,” said Abdeslam, who stared straight ahead for much of the hearing. “I’m not afraid of you, I’m not afraid of your allies. I place my faith in Allah.”

Belgium Europe Islamic State Attacks

A police convoy carrying Salah Abdeslam and other members of the trial arrives under police guard at the Brussels Justice Palace on Monday. (Virginia Mayo/Associated Press)

Abdeslam has previously refused to speak to investigators in France about the attack there that killed 130. Days after his capture, extremists struck in Brussels. In total, 162 people died in the two attacks.

“We want to see what elements will be provided in order to have a better understanding of this series of events and terror attacks, in France and in Belgium,” said Guillaume Denoix de Saint Marc, a member of V-Europe, a victims’ association.

“This trial is one of the pieces of a global puzzle which will answer some of our questions. But at the same time, we expect to be very disappointed and to learn nothing.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

CBC | World News