Saudi Arabia invites Turkish officials into consulate in Istanbul, state news agency says

Saudi Arabian officials invited Turkish experts and related officials to visit its consulate in Istanbul, the Turkish state-owned Anadolu news agency reported on Tuesday, a week after the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

The invitation came hours after the Washington Post published a surveillance image showing its missing Saudi contributor walking into the consulate in Istanbul just before he disappeared. Turkish officials have said they fear the columnist was killed there.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on Monday asked Riyadh to prove its claim that Khashoggi had left the consulate, while Washington urged Saudi Arabia to support an investigation into his disappearance.

Saudi Arabia has called the allegations it killed Khashoggi "baseless," but has offered no evidence over the past seven days to show he ever left the building.

The image released by the Post bore a date and time stamp, as well as a Turkish caption bearing Khashoggi's name and that he was arriving to the consulate. The Post said "a person close to the investigation" shared the image with them, without elaborating.

Protesters hold posters of Khashoggi during a demonstration organized by members of the Turkish-Arabic Media Association at the entrance to the consulate on Monday. (Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

The door Khashoggi walked in through appeared to be the main entrance of the consulate in Istanbul's 4th Levent neighbourhood, a leafy, upscale district near the city's financial hub that's home to several other consulates. However, the consulate has other entrances and exits, through which Saudi officials insist he left.

It's unclear which camera the footage came from and who operated it. However, a number of closed-circuit surveillance cameras surround the area. Friends of Khashoggi say Turkish police have taken possession of footage from the neighbourhood as part of their investigation.

The Saudis have offered no surveillance footage or evidence to corroborate their claims, nor have Turkish authorities offered proof to show why they believe the columnist was killed there.

"If the story that was told about the murder is true, the Turks must have information, and videotape and other documents to back it up," Fred Hiatt, the Post's editorial page editor, told The Associated Press. "If the story the Saudis are telling, that he just walked out … after half an hour, if that's true, they ought to have facts, and documents, and evidence and tapes to back that up."

Hiatt said the "idea of a government luring one of its own citizens onto its own diplomatic property in a foreign country to murder him for the peaceful expression of his views would be unimaginable."

New Saudi crown prince

Khashoggi, 59, went missing while on a visit to the consulate in Istanbul for paperwork to marry his Turkish fiancée. He had been living since last year in the United States, in a self-imposed exile, in part due to the rise of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the son of King Salman.

As a contributor to the Post, Khashoggi has written extensively about Saudi Arabia, including criticizing its war in Yemen, its recent diplomatic spat with Canada and its arrest of women's rights activists after the lifting of a ban on women driving. All those issues have been viewed as being pushed by bin Salman, who similarly has led roundups of activists, businessmen and others in the kingdom.

Watch Khashoggi speak to CBC's The National earlier this year about the issue of free speech and criticism of the Saudi regime:

Self-exiled Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi said earlier this year that the Saudi government has been moving toward nationalist radicalism. 1:14

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday urged the Saudis to back up their claim that Khashoggi left the consulate.

"Now when this person enters, whose duty is it to prove that he left or not? It is [the duty] of the consulate officials," Erdogan said during a visit to Hungary. "Don't you have cameras and other things? Why don't you prove it. You have to prove it."

Turkey summoned the Saudi ambassador on Sunday to request the kingdom's "full co-operation" in the investigation, a Foreign Ministry official said. The Turkish private NTV television said Ankara asked for permission for its investigators to search the consulate building, but a Foreign Ministry official would not confirm the report. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters about the subject.

Rising Middle East tensions

Ties between Ankara and Riyadh are at a low point over Turkey's support for Qatar in its year-long dispute with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf nations. Turkey sent food to Qatar and deployed troops at its military base there.

A Sunni power, Saudi Arabia is also annoyed by Ankara's rapprochement with the kingdom's Shia archrival, Iran.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia faced increased scrutiny over Khashoggi's disappearance from officials in the U.S., the kingdom's longtime ally. Even U.S. President Donald Trump, who took his first overseas trip as president to the kingdom and whose son-in-law Jared Kushner has close ties to Prince Mohammed, said he had concerns.

"I don't like hearing about it. And hopefully that will sort itself out," Trump said. "Right now, nobody knows anything about it, but there are some pretty bad stories going around. I do not like it."

The European Union's policy chief, Federica Mogherini, said Tuesday she supported calls for an investigation into Khashoggi's disappearance. And Britain's Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt weighed in on the case via Twitter.


With files from CBC News and Reuters

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

CBC | World News