Prince William defended Britain’s monarchy Thursday against accusations of bigotry made by his brother, Prince Harry, and sister-in-law, Meghan, insisting the family is not racist.
In comments made during a visit to an east London school, William became the first royal to directly address the explosive interview broadcast Sunday in the U.S. that Harry and Meghan gave to Oprah Winfrey.
“We’re very much not a racist family,” he said as his wife, Kate, walked by his side.
Harry and Meghan’s allegations of racism and mistreatment have rocked the Royal Family, and Buckingham Palace sought to respond to them in a 61-word statement Tuesday, but it has failed to quell the controversy.
William, second in line to the throne after his father, Prince Charles, says he hadn’t yet spoken to Harry in the aftermath of the interview, “but I will do.”
Racism, mental health discussions
Meghan, who is biracial, said in the interview she was so isolated and miserable as a working member of the Royal Family that she had suicidal thoughts. She also said Harry told her there were “concerns and conversations” by a Royal Family member about the colour of her baby’s skin when she was pregnant with their son, Archie.
Their comments have touched off conversations around the world about racism, mental health and even the relationship between Britain and its former colonies.
William and Kate toured School21 in Stratford, east London as children returned to classes. The visit was also meant to mark the rollout to secondary schools of a mental health project Kate launched in primary schools in 2018.
WATCH | Prince William addresses Meghan, Harry’s interview:
Prince William responded to allegations of racism in the Royal Family by saying the family isn’t racist and he hasn’t spoken to his brother, Prince Harry, since the bombshell interview with Oprah aired. 2:02
Canada’s Dick Pound, the International Olympic Committee’s longest serving member, says it isn’t ignoring the need to contemplate contingencies or even a cancellation or postponement of this summer’s Tokyo Olympics, but it isn’t prepared to get “swept up in the immediacy of events going on as we speak.”
“It’s not like the Masters (postponed last week) or something like that, that takes place right now as we speak,” Pound told CBC Sports. “And so we can kind of see how things develop to see whether there are more effective means to prevent the spread and to mitigate the lethality of it that we don’t know yet.”
“Until there is a warning or a prohibition coming from the World Health Organization (WHO) or government authorities, we think that we should continue to prepare,” Pound said. “And hope that the pandemic is controlled and that it’s not as lethal as people feared that it will be.”
The Masters golf tournament, originally scheduled for April 9-12 in Augusta, Ga., was postponed indefinitely on Friday because of the outbreak.
With a little more than 100 days before the world is set to converge in Tokyo for the Summer Olympics, the IOC continues to insist that it’s full steam ahead.
“The IOC remains fully committed to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and with more than four months to go before the Games there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage,” it said in a statement released Tuesday. “The IOC encourages all athletes to continue to prepare for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 as best they can,”
Olympians critical of committee’s declarations
Many current and former Olympians say the IOC is living in a fantasy world.
Canadian hockey great Hayley Wickenheiser, a member of the IOC’s Athletes Commission and a six-time Olympian, had harsh words for the IOC on Tuesday, saying in a statement posted on Twitter that the current crisis is bigger than any Olympics.
I’ve given this a lot of thought, and over the past few days my perspective has changed. I was voted to represent and protect athletes. As an IOCAC member, 6x Olympian and Medical doctor in training on the front lines in ER up until this week,these are my thoughts on <a href=”https://twitter.com/Olympics?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@Olympics</a> : <a href=”https://t.co/vrvfsQZ1GO”>pic.twitter.com/vrvfsQZ1GO</a>
“I think the IOC insisting this will move ahead with such conviction is insensitive and irresponsible given the state of humanity. We don’t know what’s happening in the next 24 hours let alone the next three months,” Wickenheiser said.
“This is not about how things will be in four months. This is about how things are now,” champion Greek pole vaulter Katerina Stefanidi posted on Twitter. “The IOC wants us to keep risking our health, our families’ health and public health to train every day? You are putting us in danger right now, today, not in 4 months.”
Canadian race walker Inaki Gomez had similar concerns.
When asked whether the Tokyo 2020 Games should be postponed, Gomez told CBC, “Yes. Postponement is the right approach.”
“[This is] an example of an organization that is tone deaf to the situation,” the 32-year-old Vancouver resident tweeted.
Every day over the past week, as the global coronavirus pandemic tightens its grip, leagues have suspended their seasons and virtually every major global sporting event has either been cancelled or postponed.
So far the virus has infected almost 190,000 people and killed more than 7,500 worldwide.
The latest postponement is the French Open, the first of tennis’s Grand Slams. It was slated to begin in Paris in late May, but this morning organizers pushed to a hopeful late September start date.
At around the same time, UEFA announced that the 24 team European Championship, slated to be held from June 11 to July 11, has been postponed until next summer.
But as daily life around the world grinds to a halt; as people are being told to stay in their homes and avoid large groups, there is one outlier: the International Olympic Committee.
Pound insists the IOC still has time on its side with the Games still months away. The opening ceremony is scheduled for July 24.
“All kinds of things can happen in that space of time. It’s important not to get caught up in confusing motion with action.”
Even the Japanese public, who have been supportive of the Games, are growing uneasy. A recent poll reported that more than 70 per cent of respondents said the Olympics shouldn’t go on as planned.
Many in the medical community echo these concerns. Professor Stephen Hoffman is the director of York University’s Global Strategy Lab. He has also advised the WHO and the UN on global health issues.
“It’s very unlikely that the Olympics are going to go ahead as scheduled,” Hoffman told CBC Sports. “If the Olympics were happening today it would be cancelled. We know if it were next week it would be cancelled. If it’s happening next month, it almost certainly would be cancelled. If it’s happening four months from now, it’s unlikely to happen in its current form.”
Amidst growing pessimism, officials with the Canadian Olympic Committee are also still insisting the Games will go ahead as planned this summer.
The COC says its view hasn’t changed from their statement released last week, where it said “plans remain unchanged” and that based on all available scientific information, it is “working towards a successful Tokyo 2020 Games.”
Canada’s chef de mission, former Olympian Marnie McBean, is encouraging athletes to be ready for Tokyo. McBean says that if it’s not safe, Canada won’t send athletes to Tokyo but she remains optimistic that won’t be the case.
“I do believe it’s possible,” the three-time Olympic gold medallist told CBC Sports. “We are going to stay prepared and we’re not turning out the lights and going to say, ‘OK let’s just pack it up.’ Right now we’re going to do everything we can to stay physically healthy to stay mentally healthy.”
WATCH | Canada’s chef de mission Marnie McBean addresses COVID-19 concerns:
Marnie McBean, Canada’s Olympic chef de mission for the Tokyo 2020 Summer Games is advising athletes to prepare for the Olympics, but also be ready to adapt to schedule changes if necessary, due to the spread of COVID-19. 6:51
There is obviously lots at stake in ensuring the Olympic flame is successfully lit in July. Japan has spent an estimated $ 28 billion US preparing for the Games. And the IOC made more than $ 4 billion in revenue in the last four-year Olympic cycle from broadcast rights. NBC, the Games’ biggest broadcast partner, has reportedly sold more than $ 1 billion in advertising.
The IOC could delay the Games for a year, but Pound says that would be difficult. Venues are booked for a specific period and may be contractually tied up beyond the Games. There are also political concerns as the Japanese government has been under increased pressure for its handling of the coronavirus, while at the same time insisting the Games will proceed as planned.
“Does the Japanese government want to do this? Is it able to hold the whole project together for an additional year?” says Pound.
Against this backdrop, Pound insists there are still ways for the Games to proceed this summer if organizers and IOC take steps to mitigate risk. Pound points out that 99 per cent of the world consumes the Olympics on television, so severely limiting or screening crowds in Japan could be an option.
“People coming into the stadium can certainly be tested. Anybody with a temperature, for example, could be denied access and maybe you fill every other seat rather than having everyone packed into a crowded stadium.”
Hoffman says if the pandemic partially subsides in the coming months and if the IOC insists on proceeding, he would go much further and recommend a scenario that excludes everyone but the athletes.
“Athletes would come together but not their coaches and not their family and friends and not tourists and other spectators,” Hoffman says. “And you can imagine those athletes potentially volunteering to go into a self-quarantine both upon entry to Japan as well as upon return to their home countries.”
McBean says an Olympics held without spectators would be a shame but not the end of the world.
“Ultimately the athletes show up to face off against competitors. The crowd is an amazing resource for us, but we train every day to be our best in anonymity with nobody around,” McBean says. “It’s a wonderful relationship between the athletes and the spectators. But sport is not between athletes and spectators.”
Pound acknowledges that somebody has to make a call soon, but won’t say exactly when. He says many IOC members are former Olympians and understand the anxiety of preparing to perform on the world’s biggest stage.
Pound insists the IOC won’t jeopardize athletes’ health and if risks can be contained and public health officials give the green light, they will proceed.
“There may be some overreactions out there now and you’ve got to be careful that you don’t become subject to them. But on the other hand you can’t close your eyes to the possibility that this will be not contained sufficiently to justify going forward.”
“So she’s acting like Tristan didn’t cheat? Like it was made up by blogs?” an Instagram user wrote of Kardashian and her 27-year-old NBA player beau.
“I’m not acting as if Tristan didn’t cheat,” Kardashian defended. “I’m saying the story about marriage and anyone insinuating they know what we speak about privately is ‘crap.’ Not upset by commenters. Not upset by anything. Only pointing out when blogs create stories for you all to believe when it’s just simply untrue.”
The exchange was just one of the reality star’s comments on the post, of which she vehemently denied the source report.
“Who makes up this crap you guys post?? This is how slow the news is You need this ridiculous story?? What a waste,” she wrote in one comment, before insisting, “If you must write such crap please stop tagging me at least!”
When another commenter said Kardashian’s relationship with Thompson was “so sad” and called it “pathetic to see a strong women become weak over a man,” Kardashian fired back yet again.
“It’s truly sad that you believe blogs and then actually take the time to comment on someone else’s life,” she wrote.
The couple appears to be doing well, despite the comments directed at Kardashian. They even shared pics from their tropical vacation earlier this week, which is just one in a string of bonding experiences for the pair this summer.
“Khloe has been enjoying being back in L.A. for the summer, and around her family,” a source recently told ET, adding that the two are “doing really well” since rebuilding their trust.
“At the end of the day, Khloe is a strong woman who thinks everything through,” the source said. “Once she decided to stay with Tristan, there was no turning back.”
Aside from playing football, it turns out Kristin Cavallari’s husband, Jay Cutler, is also a pretty good stylist.
In a clip from Cavallari’s new reality show, Very Cavalarri, the former Laguna Beach star is getting ready for a photo shoot, and asks her husband which sweater she should wear. Cutler opts for a fuzzy cream one, and is impressively quick with the decision.
“You know what though, I think I pick out 98 percent of your clothes,” Cutler says to his wife. “Do people know that I style you?”
“It’s just easier if you’re standing there,” Cavallari, 31, replies with a laugh.
Later, 35-year-old Cutler helps his wife put on her sweater without messing up her hairdo.
“I have to pick out your clothes, I have to dress you,” Cutler jokes as he helps pull her sweater over her head.
Very Cavallari definitely shows a more domestic side of Cutler. In another new clip, Cutler talks about picking up their two sons from school and being first in line ahead of the other moms. Meanwhile, Cavallari pointedly asks him about his activities now that he is no longer playing professional football.
“But, like, honestly, what do you do all day?” she asks.
“I like to keep myself pretty free, in case something does pop up,” he says.
Cavalarri then pushes him for more of a definitive answer, and rolls her eyes at his noncommitment.
“You have to realize how many sacrifices I have had to make over the eight years of football seasons we’ve been together,” she points out. “So now, you need to support what I’ve got going on. This is my football, this is my turn.”
Very Cavallari — which follows the mom of three launching the flagship store for her jewelry and home goods brand, Uncommon James, in Nashville, Tennessee — premieres Sunday, July 8 at 10 p.m., on E!
While her relationship with Cutler will be shown, the couple’s kids — Camden, 5, Jaxon, 4, and Saylor, 2 — will not be featured. ET spoke to Cavallari last August about possibly returning to reality television, and how she’s changed since starring in both Laguna Beach and The Hills.
“The Hills was a unique experience, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. But to go back to that now as a mom and a wife, it would have to be different,” she shared. “I would have to be an executive producer. I’d have to have more control, and it would have to be more on my terms. I’d never put my kids on a reality show, but if it could involve my businesses and some fashion kind of stuff, then I’d totally be open to that.”
For more on Very Cavallari, watch the video below:
Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price says he is staying off the ice for a little while longer as he deals with a lower-body injury.
Price met with reporters Tuesday before Montreal’s game against the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets to provide an update on his recovery.
He said he suffered the injury in a warmup before Montreal’s Nov. 2 game at Minnesota in which he gave up five goals on 26 shots in a 6-3 loss.
“When you’re warmed up and you’re running on a bit of adrenalin, you don’t ever feel it’s as bad until you wake up the next day and everything’s cooled down and you’re not feeling the adrenalin anymore,” he said.
Price insisted the injury is minor and that he would “absolutely” be ready to play if the Canadiens were in the playoffs.
“It’s just taking a little bit longer than expected because of the nature of my position,” said the all-star goaltender.
“I just want to make sure I’m 100 per cent and can do my job to the best of my ability when I come back, so I’m just going to make sure I take my time with it and it won’t be very long.”
Price said he can take the time to properly heal thanks to the excellent play of Charlie Lindgren. The rookie goaltender is 3-1-0 with a 1.24 goals-against average and .964 save percentage in relief of Price and injured backup Al Montoya.
“Charlie’s playing great and it’s definitely buying me more time,” Price added. “He’s doing very good. He’s got a great demeanour about himself and prepares himself well for games. It’s good to see somebody step up and perform in a tough spot.”
The Canadiens added goaltending depth Tuesday, claiming Finnish veteran Antti Niemi off waivers from Florida.
Sidney Crosby and the rest of the Pittsburgh Penguins view their trip to the White House on Tuesday as the final moment of celebration for a championship season, not some sort of statement about where they stand on President Donald Trump.
“From my side of things, there’s absolutely no politics involved,” Crosby said Monday. “Hopefully it stays that way. It’s a visit we’ve done in the past. It’s been a good experience. It’s not about politics, that’s for sure.”
At least, it hasn’t been. Yet the Penguins have found themselves unwittingly thrust into the increasingly uncomfortable intersection of politics and sports. Trump has taken aim at NFL players who protest during the national anthem, saying they should be fired. Trump also rescinded a White House invitation to Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry after the two-time MVP expressed reservations about going.
Pittsburgh coach Mike Sullivan he expects full attendance by his team for the brief ceremony, one the Penguins will make for a second straight year after becoming the first team in nearly two decades to win consecutive Stanley Cups. The Penguins are trying to focus on the reason they’ve been asked to stop by and nothing more.
‘Everyone’s got their own view’
“I think to have the opportunity to go to the White House obviously means that you’ve won a championship and that means a lot,” Sullivan said. “What our team has been able to accomplish in the last two seasons our team is extremely proud of.”
Still, it has put the Penguins into an uncomfortable position while representing a league that rarely, if ever, ventures into the political realm.
“I can’t speak for everyone else, I just grew up under the assumption that that wasn’t something really bred into sports [and] different things,” said Crosby, a native of Nova Scotia, Canada. “Everyone’s got their own view. That’s how I kind of grew up playing hockey. I wasn’t surrounded by that or didn’t have any examples, so I kind of understood it and stayed out of it.”
The 49-year-old Sullivan pointed out he’s been asked more about politics in the last three weeks than he has over the course of his entire hockey life — including a 12-year career as an NHL player and another decade-plus as a coach — combined.
“It’s not something that gets discussed at the rink,” Sullivan said.
Forward Phil Kessel, an American, acknowledged the outside forces at play but like his teammates is steering clear of venturing into an area that often doesn’t collide with hockey.
“Obviously there’s been issues but I’m not that political,” he said. “Most teams go and it is what it is.”