Angelina Jolie is a big fan of Queen Elizabeth.
The 42-year-old actress appears in the upcoming ITV special The Queen’s Green Planet, in which she visits Namibia with her six children to highlight forest conservation. In the documentary, Jolie says she’s imparting lessons about caring about the future to her kids — Maddox, Pax, Zahara, Shiloh and twins Vivienne and Knox — and learning from the Queen herself.
“‘This is why it’s important to plant a tree,’ that’s the biggest message I can teach my kids, and it’s something that they’ve certainly learned from Her Majesty and her message,” Jolie says, according to People. “They ask me, ‘Why is it so important to her?’ You know when you sit up at night in a tent with your kids and they say, ‘Why does the Queen of England care about planting trees in Africa?’”
“What it comes down to is you say to the kids, ‘You know really, you don’t know her, you can’t understand all that it means to be a queen and all that,” she continues. “But you try to say, ‘You know she’s just this really lovely lady who really cares about people around the world, and she really cares about the future, and she wants your grandkids and her grandkids to be able to be running around, enjoying nature and other cultures, and the importance of other cultures.’ She thinks that really matters and I agree with her.”
The new documentary focuses on the Queen’s Commonwealth Canopy, an initiative that began in 2015 as a network of forest conservation programs throughout the Commonwealth of Nations. It airs in the U.K. on April 16.
Jolie and Queen Elizabeth have crossed paths before. The queen made the Maleficent actress an honorary dame in London in 2014, in honor of her efforts to raise global awareness of violence against women as the co-founder of the Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative, which was established in 2012.
In February, Jolie opened up to former Secretary of State John Kerry about what she hopes her children, her daughters especially, will learn from her 17 years of working with refugees and her co-founding the Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict Initiative.
“I tell my daughters, ‘What sets you apart is what you are willing to do for others. Anyone can put on a dress and makeup. It’s your mind that will define you,'” Jolie said in the interview for Elle. “‘Find out who you are, what you think, and what you stand for. And fight for others to have those same freedoms. A life of service is worth living.'”
Looks like it was a girls’ night out!
Angelina Jolie took two of her children, Shiloh and Zahara, to the Annie Awards in Los Angeles on Saturday, where all three rocked the red carpet with sleek style.
Jolie wore a silver Atelier Versace dress that shimmered on the carpet, paired with a classic red lip and flowing hair.
And it looks like the kids are picking up some of mom’s chic style. Shiloh, 11, wore a black suit with no tie, while Zahara, 13, wore a black top with lace detail and black pants.
The trio also held hands multiple times on the carpet, and it was clear from their smiles that it was a fun night out for all.
The Annie Awards celebrate the best in animation, and the 42-year-old was nominated as a co-proudcer for her film The Breadwinner, which won for Best Animated Feature-Independent.
This isn’t the first time that Jolie has taken her eldest two daughters to an event with her.
Last month, the girls attended the National Board of Review Annual Awards Gala in New York City, where they were also accompanied by Jolie’s friend, human rights activist Loung Ung.
“I’m with a woman I admire very much, and two other women I admire very much,” Jolie told ET of her three dates.
For more on Jolie and her kids, watch the video below!
[unable to retrieve full-text content]
Angelina Jolie is gearing up for the Golden Globes. The 42-year-old actress was all smiles at the HFPA and American Cinematheque’s Golden Globe Foreign Language Nominees Series Symposium at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood on Saturday. The brunette beauty arrived wearing a black mid-calf full skirt with a white button-up shirt, a charcoal-colored scarf and nude heels. Jolie was celebrating her movie First They Killed My Father, which is nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Golden…
[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
An avalanche of allegations poured out Tuesday against Harvey Weinstein in on-the-record reports that detailed claims of sexual abuse and included testimonies from Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie, further intensifying the already explosive collapse of the disgraced movie mogul.
In a report published Tuesday in the New York Times, the Oscar-winning actresses went on the record to describe incidents that took place earlier in their careers.
“I was a kid, I was signed up, I was petrified,” Paltrow told the Times about the incident, after the then-22-year-old had been hired to star in the film Emma.
Paltrow described Weinstein’s attempt to lure her into giving him a massage in a hotel room. The incident prompted her then boyfriend Brad Pitt to angrily confront Weinstein at a film premiere.
‘This behaviour towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.’– Angelina Jolie
Jolie told the Times that Weinstein had made unwanted advances toward her during the release of her film Playing By Heart.
“I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Jolie told the Times.
“This behaviour towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.”
The Times story came just hours after The New Yorker published an explosive report alleging that Harvey Weinstein had previously raped three women. A representative for Weinstein vehemently denied the allegations in a statement to the magazine.
The New Yorker exposé by correspondent Ronan Farrow, published Tuesday morning after 10 months of work, detailed allegations not just of sexual harassment but of three incidents involving rape. Actress Asia Argento and a former aspiring actress named Lucia Evans went on the record to allege Weinstein forced himself on them sexually. A third woman spoke anonymously.
Evans, then a senior at Middlebury College, said Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004 at the Miramax offices in Tribeca. She had been brought in for a casting meeting with Weinstein.
Argento, an actress and director, said Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her at the Cannes Film Festival in 1999. A third woman spoke anonymously.
“I know he has crushed a lot of people before,” Argento told The New Yorker. “That’s why this story — in my case, it’s 20 years old, some of them are older — has never come out.”
Former actress and screenwriter Louisette Geiss said Weinstein appeared in an open bathrobe with no clothes on during a meeting at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.
Geiss said Weinstein asked several times that she watch him masturbate during the 2008 encounter.
She made the allegations Tuesday during a news conference with attorney Gloria Allred, who invited Weinstein to meet with his alleged victims in a mediation or arbitration process.
Geiss said in a statement that she is coming forward to help give voice to other alleged victims of sexual harassment. She said her experience with Weinstein led to her departure from the entertainment industry. She now works in real estate.
Attorneys for Weinstein did not immediately return messages Tuesday. The New Yorker quoted Weinstein representative Sallie Hofmeister responding that “any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.”
The story revealed that 13 women have said Weinstein sexually harassed or assaulted them between 1990 and 2015. The incidents described range from unwanted groping to forced sex.
Some of those incidents overlap with the eight allegations of sexual harassment previously reported by The New York Times, all of which resulted in financial settlements.
But they also go much further. In the article, Rosanna Arquette and Mira Sorvino are among those who claim Weinstein sexually harassed them.
Representatives for the actresses did not immediately return messages seeking comment.
Arquette described a 1990s incident at a Beverly Hills hotel in which Weinstein tried to make her give him a massage and then attempted to lead her hand to his penis. Afterward, the actress told the magazine, “He made things very difficult for me for years.”
The New Yorker revealed an audio recording made by the New York Police Department in 2015 in which Weinstein says he groped a model named Ambra Battilana Guitierrez. At the time, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., announced that an investigation didn’t support criminal charges.
“If we could have prosecuted Harvey Weinstein for the conduct that occurred in 2015, we would have,” Karen Friedman-Agnifilo, chief assistant district attorney, said Tuesday.
“While the recording is horrifying to listen to, what emerged from the audio was insufficient to prove a crime under New York law, which requires prosecutors to establish criminal intent,” she said. “Subsequent investigative steps undertaken in order to establish intent were not successful. This, coupled with other proof issues, meant that there was no choice but to conclude the investigation without criminal charges.”
But the NYPD released a statement Tuesday saying that the case was “carried out by experienced detectives and supervisors from NYPD’s Special Victims Unit.… The recorded conversation with the subject corroborates the acts that were the basis for the victim’s complaint to the police a day earlier.”
The statement also said the recorded conversation was “just one aspect of the case against the subject. This evidence, along with other statements and timeline information was presented to the office of the Manhattan District Attorney.”
The magazine also reported that 16 former and current executives and assistants at The Weinstein Co. and Miramax either witnessed or knew of Weinstein’s unwanted sexual advances. “All 16 said the behaviour was widely known within both Miramax and the Weinstein Company.”
Representatives for The Weinstein Co. didn’t immediately respond to messages.
Hollywood partners react
The powerful studio boss was fired by his own company over the weekend.
Since his firing, much of Hollywood has reacted with disgust and outrage, including Meryl Streep, Lena Dunham, Jennifer Lawrence and George Clooney.
Congressional Democrats, including Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, have given to charities thousands of dollars in donations they had received from Weinstein.
Former secretary of state Hillary Clinton, for whom Weinstein was a high-profile supporter during her failed bid for the White House, issued a statement Tuesday praising the women coming forward.
Statement from Secretary Clinton on Harvey Weinstein: pic.twitter.com/L1l2wl9l0I
“I am saddened and angry that a man who I worked with used his position of power to intimidate, sexually harass and manipulate many women over decades,” Ben Affleck wrote in a statement Tuesday.
“The additional allegations of assault that I read this morning made me sick. This is completely unacceptable, and I find myself asking what I can do to make sure this doesn’t happen to others.
“We need to do better at protecting our sisters, friends, co-workers and daughters. We must support those who come forward, condemn this type of behavior when we see it and help ensure there are more women in positions of power,” said Affleck, who won an Oscar for co-writing the Miramax-produced film Good Will Hunting.
Matt Damon, who collaborated frequently with Weinstein, including co-writing Good Will Hunting with Affleck, said he didn’t know about Weinstein’s behaviour.
“This morning, I just feel absolutely sick to my stomach,” Damon told the trade website Deadline Tuesday. “This kind of stuff can’t happen.”
Weinstein has not publicly commented since Thursday.